As a Bariatric Center of Excellence, Duke provides safe, effective, high-quality bariatric care to people who have been unable to maintain weight loss through diet, exercise and/medication. Most of the 800 bariatric surgeries our surgeons perform each year take place at Duke Regional Hospital, but people may also undergo bariatric surgery at Duke Raleigh Hospital and Alamance Regional Medical Center.
- Register to attend a free information session online to learn about obesity and help you decide if weight loss surgery is right for you.
- At your first patient evaluation, you’ll learn about your options, changes in lifestyle habits, and the expenses associated with weight loss surgery.
- You’ll have re- and post-surgical follow-up appointments with your surgeon, and other members of your team including physician assistants, nutritionists, and psychologists.
- Monthly support groups help you face the challenges that may arise after surgery.
- Participate in physical and occupational therapy to help prepare you for surgery, and learn how to incorporate exercise into your life after surgery to improve your physical functioning and well-being.